About Me

My photo
Bonjour! I am currently a dancer with the Oklahoma City Ballet, spent last year dancing for Ballet Austin, and before that I spent 3 years training in Pennsylvania. All the while I have developed a love for baking and entertaining. Anyone who knows me knows that I love to throw fabulous dinner parties and create beautiful treats for everyone to enjoy. In fact, last year while dancing in Austin I even earned the nick name Michael Stewart(which I proudly accept). With my newest endeavor, however, I am not willing to share. Anything I am set on doing gets done in full stride; which is exactly why I can't have any little snacks holding me back. "What is so important that you cant even share with your friends and family," you ask? The answer is quite simple. . . . . . A Gingerbread House of course.

Monday, July 26, 2010

The Hunt


When searching for the perfect house to model the GB House after, I truly felt as if I were hunting prey. I didn't want to go too simple ( like shooting a squirrel with a shotgun) or too ambitious (like trying to take down a bear with a BB gun) --- I wanted a good match, something that would challenge but not completely overwhelm.
Remembering all the beautiful Victorian homes in my home state of Pennsylvania, I waited until the season was finished in Austin to start my safari. Every walk around the block became an adventure in and of itself: I took notice of things that before I would never give a second glance. "Wow I bet a chocolate taken out of temper would give that same grainy texture of a slate roof ! Could I replicate that torrent without cracks in the dough?" (Who thinks of these things? or a better question: who cares?) Well obviously I did, which is exactly why the hunt had to continue.
After stalking the prey for a matter of weeks, taking note of both weaknesses and strengths, I narrowed it down to a few that I would be proud to mount on my wall. Some were very grand tons of ornate woodwork, balconies and complicated roof angles. They were very beautiful, but could I recreate that same beauty? On the other hand, taking the easy way out, making the same old rectangle with a gumdrop wreath, was out of the question. I had it narrowed down and I was just about to make my decision and go in for the kill. Was I going to choose the strong leader of the pack with a beautiful cote and spiraled horns or was I going to pick off the one with the gimpy leg who cant keep up? I had my sights set and my finger on the trigger when just then something caught my eye. Hiding behind a few small trees, only one block away, there she was, all this time right under my nose. Seeing the quiet beauty of this home made me think. I don't want to hurt it ( I have almost twisted my ankle several times dogging ant farms, its just not me) This shy little home needed someone to love it and help bring out her natural beauty, not someone who will overpower it, scare it away, and that someone is me. Here she is, a little rough around the edges but a damn nice bone structure. I only hope I can do her justice.

Don't forget I have made a lot of progress already,so we have some catching up to do. keep your eyes peeled for my next post when I discuss how I grafted and put together a model of the GB House.

A bientot !

No comments:

Post a Comment