About Me

My photo
Bonjour! I am currently a dancer with the Oklahoma City Ballet, spent last year dancing for Ballet Austin, and before that I spent 3 years training in Pennsylvania. All the while I have developed a love for baking and entertaining. Anyone who knows me knows that I love to throw fabulous dinner parties and create beautiful treats for everyone to enjoy. In fact, last year while dancing in Austin I even earned the nick name Michael Stewart(which I proudly accept). With my newest endeavor, however, I am not willing to share. Anything I am set on doing gets done in full stride; which is exactly why I can't have any little snacks holding me back. "What is so important that you cant even share with your friends and family," you ask? The answer is quite simple. . . . . . A Gingerbread House of course.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

And So It Has Begun


It has been four weeks since I have started the old GB house (as I like to call it) and a lot of progress and mistakes have been made already. I have envisioned and researched how I would create the house for about 7 months now but it seems nothing can prepare you for the amount of work that it will actually take. Before we talk too much about the GB House, I should tell you what I would like to achieve.
For the house its self I would love it to take home the gold in Asheville, North Carolina at the National Gingerbread Competition, not only for the instant burst of fame and glory, but for the experience as well. "Why is this boy spending so much time on this silly house? Doesn't he have enough on his plate dancing professionally for a ballet company?" I imagine you will be asking yourself. Yea I do have a lot going on and ballet is my job but I have a passion for pastry. I am sure even getting a house to Asheville will teach me more then I can imagine, although winning would be ideal. I would love to study pastry abroad and the prize money would give me a little nest egg to help my dreams become more of a reality. I have even started learning French just in case. ( If you see any random French phrases thats why, but you must imagine me saying it with a very bad accent and a little stuttering to get the full effect)
I have had almost no formal training whatsoever. Actually, I have gotten a great deal of information from bloggers like yourself and pure trial and error which we will experience together along the way. "Why have you started already" is a common question you may be asking yourself; I am anticipating some major failures along the way since this will be the first time I'm trying most of these techniques. ( Frustrating for me, Entertaining for you). I hope you follow me every step of the way because, like in ballet, nothing makes me more upset then when I fall and no one sees; it's not the fall that's important, but that everyone missed it and there was no one to laugh with.


The next several posts will catch you up on my progress thus far and then we'll walk step by step together from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma to Asheville, North Carolina.

Keep your eyes peeled for my next post (The Hunt) how I tracked down the perfect house to model.

A bientot ! - See you soon !

1 comment: